View text: Small Medium Large
Housing and Costs

Housing and Costs

If you’re a care leaver and aged 16 or 17 (and have been looked after for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14), your local authority must:

  • Find you somewhere suitable to live and pay for furniture and fittings
  • Give you an allowance. You can’t claim benefits unless you are disabled or a lone parent
  • Pay for any extra costs set out in the Pathway Plan (this is why it’s so important to include everything in your plan)
  • Keep in touch with you.

You can read more about what your local authority must do to support you on this page.