View text: Small Medium Large
Housing and Costs

Housing and Costs

Going back to education or training

If you are a care leaver aged 21 to 25 and want to go back in to education or training, it is important that you get back in touch with your local authority so they can support you

Local authorities must give you an education or training bursary and help towards your accommodation costs. This includes supporting you through the holidays.

You can also receive money to help you cover the costs of your education and training, like travel costs.

Your Personal Advisor

Your personal advisor can support you through your education and training. If you do not have one, the local authority must give you one. You will also work on a new pathway plan (if you don’t have one anymore).

25 years old and over

This support can continue until you reach the age of 25, or, if your course keeps going after you turn 25, the local authority must support you until it finishes.

If you have to stop your education or training for a short period of time, the local authority must reasonably keep supporting you until you start it again.

Things to check

It is important that you check with your local authority what help is available for you with your education and training.

If you are going to college or university, it is important that you speak to student services, as they will be able to offer you advice on the support that is available to you.