View text: Small Medium Large
16 – 17 Year Olds

16 – 17 Year Olds

At 16, you should have a pathway plan, or you should be making one with your social worker.

If you want to stay in education, your pathway plan must acknowledge your personal education plan.

Support from the council

The local authority must support your education, for example, by helping you with money, even if you have left your care placement.

EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance)

If you stay on at school past 16, you might be able to get Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). It can help you with things like travel, stationery and books. You could get up to a maximum of £30 per week.