View text: Small Medium Large
Living independently

Living independently

If you decide that you want to live on your own you will get some money (called a Leaving Care Grant) from social services.

This money will help you to buy some of the things you need in a new home. You should ask your social worker when you will get this and how much it will be.

Council Tax

Care leavers don’t need to pay Council Tax until the age of 25. It is important when you receive your Bill to contact the local authority to let them know that you have been in care.

You may be able to get other support too, like as a bus pass or money off leisure activities when you have left care.

Ask for advice

You should ask your social worker or personal advisor about what’s available in your area.